Friday, April 29, 2011

Day 177: Update!

So, I've gotten past day 175... which is one of the benchmarks I had in my head. I don't know why I chose 175 as a target to overcome, but I've found that if I keep aiming for incremental numbers in my climb to 365 the time seems to pass more quickly, and I don't feel as overwhelmed.


I think it's about time for some updates on the condition of things.


Summer break starts for me next week, which means nothing really because my summer is already filling up fast. This does mean that I hope to have the time to be able to focus and deliver on my promises to post a bunch of instructional videos on Youtube, Blip.tv, Zune and on the iTunes podcast.


I have an interview coming up in the local big city newspaper in the next couple weeks. They are doing a feature on me, my balloon entertaining, and a photo spread about a balloon dress I'm making for a local charity fashion show. Once the issue is out I'll have some pictures of it, probably a scan if I can so the pictures look a little nicer... I'm a little bummed I won't be able to get the actual digital copies of the photos though.


I'm talking with a Cleveland daytime talk show about doing a segment, possibly a couple if I can convince them that what I do is unique enough that people would be interested in seeing it.


The Balloon Distractions side work is picking up. I've finished training my latest balloon minion and I'm looking to take on more students this summer. In case you've missed the other posts about it. If you're in the North East Ohio area and are interested in making some money as a balloon entertainer at restaurant Kid's Nights, contact me.
What I've been doing is training people in the basics and some intermediate designs, helping them with training in how to work in a restaurant, and then we have a network of locations that are interested in having balloon twisters come in and entertain for 3-4 hour shifts.
My minions are reporting $15+ per hour in tips, and it's a fun and unique way to make some extra cash.
Contact me if you'd like more information.


I'm thinking about turning the blog into a .com... ever since I got screwed by Google and they closed my Google Ads account I've been bummed at missing out on the ad revenue that the blog was generating. The readership has increased quite a lot since then, and I think that if I were to invest the money in making it a real website instead of leaving it here on blogger that it would be more than able to pay for it's own expenses.
If I do turn it into a real website, I want to expand it though.. and I'd love the help of my balloon twisting readers with that.


My plan is to keep the name 365 Days Of Balloons and make it a resource for the ballooning community. Much like the great sites BalloonHQ.com and Balloon-animals.com I'd like to make the website somewhere where people can come for help and ideas.


I want to open it up to outside contributions. Give other twisters the opportunity to display their own work, talk about their ideas, the industry, etc... If I build it as a real website and get the Google Ads working for it again, then that means the posts would be generating revenue also, and I'd like to work out a system where my contributers can be paid for their work. 


I'd like to interview the bigger names in ballooning and get their insight into the industry.


I'd like to build a community on the site where people just getting started can come for help and advise. 


I'd like to build a huge freaking gallery where people can look for reference. (This would only work if I were getting permission from the creators of balloon images.) I know that there are a lot of creators taking their work down lately. I don't know if it's out of a concern that their work is being ripped off, if they have DVD's in the works and don't want the stuff up for free, or any of a dozen other reasons... but I believe in giving credit where credit is due and I wouldn't want to infringe on anyones work.
I'm putting my stuff out here for everyone because I'm hoping to help out people that are just starting, and this also is forcing me to improve my own designs. I know I'm not the best twister out there, but I still feel I have a lot to offer to the community and I know I can help the beginners get off to a good start. I understand that some people might not want to put everything out there for the world to see. I respect that, and I won't infringe on that.


Next week I'll hit the half way mark on this experiment. 
I started this blog as a way to improve my designs, and I've noticed a difference. I hope that when I move on to the next phase of this idea that I continue to see positive things come of it.


What I'd like from you guys is a few little things.


Please let me know what you would like to see more of. 
I already get weekly requests for designs to show on the blog and to  make videos for... keep them coming. I'm keeping a running list, and I intend to get to every one of them eventually. 
If you want me to keep this to just daily pictures, then perhaps I shouldn't bother trying to make this into something bigger... but if people are interested in seeing this turn into a much grander project, then let me know. If I've got the encouragement to drive me, then I can push this to the next level.


Tell your friends.
If you've got a friend that is into balloon twisting, or is just starting out, let them know about this blog. If you think you know someone that might think this is neat, point them my way.






Now for the picture for today.
I was inspired by a fellow balloon blogger over at
http://www.rainbowofballoons.blogspot.com

Some time back she posted a great picture she had an artist draw for use as a coloring book page.
This idea really resonated with me, and it's something that I've kept coming back to again and again.
I'm not the best artist when it comes to paper and pencil, but I've been messing around with a program on my iPod touch with some interesting results.
Here are a couple of the pages I've done so far...these are by far not the final products, but I'm using them as tests to find out what kind of balloon colors and lighting will produce the best images.


Let me know what you think.
















I'll come up with some sort of special prize for the first person to color one of these.




See you tomorrow.

5 comments:

  1. That's a great technique for converting existing images. Great! I might have to try my colouring hand lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. with your balloon marker skills sonia I am sure you will do just fine.

    @Mot - Maybe if you decide to feature works of others maybe have balloon of the week or month that particularly caught your eye people submit etc.

    Liddleone

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that idea!
    Look for that to be implemented soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is that dog picture from one of the days of this blog? I'd like to see more detail on how you made the face, it looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The dog picture is from a picture taken of me for a local newspaper... The color version of the picture showed a week or so before this one.

    I really like that dog face also... it's something I had been working on for a while.

    I'll try to figure out how to get more details on it that could be presented in an understandable way.

    ReplyDelete